About Me

My name is Spring Taylor. I'm a senior at the University of South Alabama, majoring in secondary education with a focus in English. I feel called into the field of English because I had a bad experience as a high school student. I believe more can be done to make students better communicators--visually and verbally especially in high school. I love to read, write, and reflect on literature, as well as finding new ways to teach. Here's a sample of my professional blog for my EDM 310 course.

Friday, April 30, 2010

New Ways to Teach Shakespeare

Most high school students are taught Shakespeare by teachers cramming it down their throats. Students usually don't retain the information, and grow to resent even the word 'Shakespeare'. One way that I want to change this in my classroom is approaching it from a different angle, and make it fun. By getting students to comprehend it on a deeper level, they will more likely retain what they are being taught and be able to analysis literature on their own. Here are a few ways in which Shakespeare can be taught rather than the standard reading, quizzes, notes, and test format.

Shakespeare@Web English Teacher
This site offers many different approaches to teaching Shakespeare including student-made tabloid style websites about summarizing the plays and reading Shakespeare from an actor's perspective.



Hip-hop Shakespeare
By making Shakespeare relevant, this approach incorporates modern rap to Shakespeare work as a lyricist and writer. Just by showing clips of these videos that coincide with the text being covered, students will be able to connect to Shakespeare in an artistic way.

No comments:

Post a Comment